A number of organisations run interactive games and business challenges for students. Each competition gives you a unique opportunity to get hands-on experience in areas such as marketing, journalism, financial trading, project management or even setting up your own business. As an individual, or in teams, you will compete with students across the UK and Internationally for the chance to win fantastic prizes and often paid work experience!
As you can see, there is a lot to gain from entering a business challenge or career related competition:
- A fun way to gain invaluable experience and industry knowledge! Trade online against your friends, set up your own business or design and market a new brand. Practice your workplace skills in a safe and encouraging environment. It’s like being on The Apprentice, but less scary!
- Become a stronger candidate. From writing an effective business proposal to managing your own fantasy budget, taking part in a careers competition will give you lots to talk about in an application or interview.
- Learn from professional mentors. Some competitions provide teams with a mentor to guide you through the challenge, others give you the chance to present your ideas to a panel of professionals.
- Opportunities to travel. Many of these competitions are advertised globally. Final rounds are often held in the host company's head office, which could be anywhere from Paris to Singapore.
- Get a foot in the door. Holding a career development competition allows the host company to observe some of the most talented and motivated students in the country. If you make a good impression, your name will stand out from the hundreds of other applicants when you apply to their internship or graduate scheme.
- Represent your college! As a team or an individual, you will be representing UCL among other colleges in the UK and, in some cases, across the world. Fly the flag for UCL and inspire your fellow students.
- Fantastic prizes. If the reasons above aren't enough to convince you, there are some great prizes up for grabs. Work experience, trips abroad and cash prizes are just some of the rewards for winners and runners up.
Charles Russell Strapline Competition
We have devised a 'strapline competition' which challenges students to think of a powerful and original strapline that could be used to front our trainee recruitment campaign for 2013/2014. First prize is a week of work experience with Charles Russell as well as a brand new Apple IPad & a £250 donation to a charity of the student's choice
Entries should be sent by email.
Rise To: The Enterprise Challenge - Deadline Extended
The deadline for teams to enter Rise To: The Enterprise Challenge has been extended to 20th January 2013.
Brandstorm - L'Oréal
Brandstorm is an exciting global initiative which builds employability skills, boosts CVs, could land you with a top graduate job and you participants may even win a 10,000 euro prize.
Origami Idea Challenge
Origami Capital Partners—a Chicago-based investment firm—recently launched an investment strategy competition. The competition will award $130,000 in cash prizes, and one or more participants may be offered the opportunity to work for Origami as partners or employees.
Credit Suisse - Project Firefly
We are excited to announce the launch of the 2013 Emerging Leaders Essay Competition by Project Firefly and Credit Suisse. Project Firefly is an independent academic thought leadership platform sponsored by Credit Suisse.
This year’s thought provoking essay topics center on Asia’s current affairs with regards to national stability, leadership changes and reforms. Submissions are open to undergraduates, masters or PhD students globally.
Cyber Security Challenge UK
Four UK Computer Science departments have accepted the challenge to develop their own cipher - a puzzle based on encrypted messages - that will be released to other universities to break.
This is designed to inspire students who are particularly interested in entering cyber security careers and practising their skills.
Markit Trader Select
Competitive Internet Based Trading Simulation Platform. Helps Financial Institutions identify and recruit talented graduates. Click here to enter
Morgan Stanley University Community Impact Challenge 2012
The Morgan Stanley University Community Impact Challenge is an innovative programme which was launched last autumn. Championed by our Sales & Trading, HR and Community Affairs departments, it aims to strengthen links between universities and their local communities. After a successful debut season last year, the Challenge has now grown to include seven leading UK universities.
The CIMA Global Business Challenge 2013
It’s that time of the year again. The CIMA Global Business Challenge is an international business competition designed to bring out the best in the young business leaders of tomorrow. This is a great opportunity for students around the world to showcase their talent in business management.
The competition is organised in partnership with Barclays, who share our vision of developing and nurturing young talent around the world. The competition has evolved from eight participating regions around the world in 2009 to 25 regions for the 2013 competition, demonstrating the success and global reach of the challenge.
ESB Business Cup 2013
Legg Mason Essay Prize
Danone - TRUST
Astrium Student Presentation Competition
Join the Spirit - EADS
RWE npower Future Leaders Challenge
Adzuna Graduate of the Year 2013
FEEDBACK: If you are taking part in one of these competitions please get in touch and let us know how you are getting on!
UCL Success Stories
If you've taken part in a competition, please let us know and we can add details of how you did here...
Page last modified on 04 sep 11 14:52 by Martin Brown