Employer Led Practice Interviews
The face to face interview is a process which practically every student will go through at some point in their career. Even if you're not expecting to attend an interview in the near future, this 30 minute role-play exercise with a Graduate Recruiter will help you practice typical interview questions for graduate schemes and internships. You'll receive feedback on your performance during the session and have chance to address any other concerns you have about the interview process.
Details of which recruiters are taking part can be found in the programme below but, please note, the aim of these
interviews is to give you a chance to experience a graduate level
interview firsthand and practice your general interview skills so the interview won't
be based on questions about specific roles or the company themselves but will instead focus on typical interview
questions/scenarios common to the sector that each employer works in.
The interview practice will therefore be useful even if you're not applying to the employer who's running the session.
- You MUST register your interest in advance using your "My Careers Service" account. You can register from 1.30pm, TWO weeks before each session takes place and bookings will close when it is fully booked or, at the latest, 1 working day before.
- Once registered, you will need to visit UCL Careers Service to pick one of the available time slots AND PAY A RETURNABLE £10 CASH DEPOSIT. The slots are booked on a first come first served basis.
- You will have UP TO 2 working days after registering to pay and pick a time slot. If we haven't heard from you by then, your registration will be cancelled.
- Non-attendance: Due to the nature of the 1-1 appointments and the time kindly given by employers for these, failure to attend your appointment without giving at least 1 working day's notice to cancel your booking will result in your My Careers Service account being deactivated so you won't be able to book other Careers Service events or appointments in advance and you will lose your deposit.
Please note: Slots will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. There are a limited number of slots (only 6 per employer) and these are likely to fill up quickly due to popular demand. However, any appointment slots which are cancelled will automatically be made available for re-booking through My Careers Service so please do check regularly for availability.
As the employers are from a range of companies from different sectors, interviewees will be asked standard interview questions about their chosen area and the skills / competencies required for this. There is no need to do in depth research into a specific company or the roles they have available.
However, you should be prepared to give detailed
reasons for applying to a certain job sector and be able to show your
motivations for choosing a specific role within this sector as well as
having to answer competency questions relevant to the sector.
The Help With... Interviews section of our website will highlight a range of resources available through the Careers Service in terms of what to expect and how to prepare.
also be expected to treat the session as a "real" interview in terms of
punctuality and interaction with the employer though dress code is optional.
All Employer Led Mock Interviews will be held on Friday mornings from 9.45am to 12.45pm at half an hour intervals. Please ensure you read the booking information above carefully before booking.
Sessions are available as follows:
- 24/01/2014: PwC
- 31/01/2014: Vivaki or Colas Rail
- 07/02/2014: Transport for London or Herbert Smith Freehills
- 14/02/2014: EY or Teach First
- 28/02/2014: GlaxoSmithKline
- 07/03/2014: ReedSmith or Bloomberg
We strongly recommend that you register for UCLAlert! and ensure your industry preferences are up to date so that we can notify you by email in case additional employers from sectors you're interested in are coming in.
Resources / Preparation Materials:
If you're now preparing for a real interview, the Help With... Interviews section of our website will highlight a range of resources available through the Careers Service in terms of what to expect and how to prepare.
The Interviews section of the site will also provide information on other employer led events which can help with interview preparation.
You can use a Short Guidance Session to speak to a Careers Adviser about how to prepare for interviews and what to expect.
We also offer 1-1 Practice Interviews with Careers Advisers for those who have been invited to a real interview.
If you arrive more than 5 minutes late and the Employer doesn't feel they can do the practice interview effectively in whatever time is left of your appointment, your appointment will be cancelled and you will lose your £10 deposit.
Page last modified on 19 oct 11 15:53 by Martin Brown