A number of organisations run interactive games and business challenges for students. Each competition gives you a unique opportunity to get hands-on experience in areas such as marketing, journalism, financial trading, project management or even setting up your own business. As an individual, or in teams, you will compete with students across the UK and Internationally for the chance to win fantastic prizes and often paid work experience!
As you can see, there is a lot to gain from entering a business challenge or career related competition:
- A fun way to gain invaluable experience and industry knowledge! Trade online against your friends, set up your own business or design and market a new brand. Practice your workplace skills in a safe and encouraging environment. It’s like being on The Apprentice, but less scary!
- Become a stronger candidate. From writing an effective business proposal to managing your own fantasy budget, taking part in a careers competition will give you lots to talk about in an application or interview.
- Learn from professional mentors. Some competitions provide teams with a mentor to guide you through the challenge, others give you the chance to present your ideas to a panel of professionals.
- Opportunities to travel. Many of these competitions are advertised globally. Final rounds are often held in the host company's head office, which could be anywhere from Paris to Singapore.
- Get a foot in the door. Holding a career development competition allows the host company to observe some of the most talented and motivated students in the country. If you make a good impression, your name will stand out from the hundreds of other applicants when you apply to their internship or graduate scheme.
- Represent your college! As a team or an individual, you will be representing UCL among other colleges in the UK and, in some cases, across the world. Fly the flag for UCL and inspire your fellow students.
- Fantastic prizes. If the reasons above aren't enough to convince you, there are some great prizes up for grabs. Work experience, trips abroad and cash prizes are just some of the rewards for winners and runners up.
Cyber Security Challenge
Brandstorm - L'Oréal
Brandstorm is an exciting global initiative which builds employability skills, boosts CVs, could land you with a top graduate job and you participants may even win a 10,000 euro prize.
Origami Idea Challenge
Origami Capital Partners—a Chicago-based investment firm—recently launched an investment strategy competition. The competition will award $130,000 in cash prizes, and one or more participants may be offered the opportunity to work for Origami as partners or employees.
Cyber Security Challenge
A national competition between UK university departments that provides them a way to benchmark their cyber security skills, and pit their brightest cyber talent (including international and overseas students) against budding professionals from other institutions
Cyber Security Challenge UK
Four UK Computer Science departments have accepted the challenge to develop their own cipher - a puzzle based on encrypted messages - that will be released to other universities to break.
This is designed to inspire students who are particularly interested in entering cyber security careers and practising their skills.
Markit Trader Select
Competitive Internet Based Trading Simulation Platform. Helps Financial Institutions identify and recruit talented graduates. Click here to enter
RWE npower Future Leaders Challenge
Vodafone 24 Challenge
Veritas Language Solutions Ltd - University Challenge
The 2014 CIMA Global Business Challenge
The CIMA global business challenge is an international business competition designed to bring out the best in the young business leaders of tomorrow. This is a great opportunity for students around the world to showcase their talent to some of the world’s top employers.
Target Undergraduate of the Year Awards
Student Competitions AB - Credit Suisse IT Challenge
Social Enterprise Challenge
KPMG's International Case Competition 2014
CFA institute Quiz
London is my campus - Mobile App
FEEDBACK: If you are taking part in one of these competitions please get in touch and let us know how you are getting on!
UCL Success Stories
If you've taken part in a competition, please let us know and we can add details of how you did here...
Page last modified on 04 sep 11 14:52 by Martin Brown