Contacts and Networking
Whatever stage you're at in the career planning process, making contacts and using professional networks is a great way to get ahead.
- Learn more from your contacts about a particular career path from a personal perspective to see if it's right for you.
- Get an insider's view on current issues and how to gain relevant skills / work experience for a specific job or sector.
- Uncover information on a company's recruitment process so you'll know what to put on your application or what to focus on at the interview.
The resources / services below can get you started...
One the best places to search for contacts to start building your professional network is right here at UCL. Through the Alumni Office, all UCL students and graduates have access to The Alumni Web Community.
Once logged in*, simply follow the "Careers Mentoring" link and then search for and contact UCL Alumni by:
- UCL Course or Department
- Year of graduation from UCL
- Current occupation / field of work
- The country they're now based in
*Note: Any queries relating to the Alumni Web Community should be directed to the UCL Alumni Office.
Guides on making the most of this or other networking sites / opportunities can be downloaded below:
- Networking - general guide to successful networking
- Networking Online - guide to using online social media to build networks
Additional Online Resources
Our staff and other Career Professionals from across our parent body, The Careers Group, University of London, have provided reviews and descriptions of a wide range of other websites and online resources on our online careers resource library - Careers Tagged. Use search tags such as "networking" to get started...
We have a copy of the Journey to Work DVD which is published by AGCAS. This can be viewed at the Careers Service only and includes a short section on networking.
We have a range of resources which include information about networking which can be collected in person from the Careers library, including:
- Networking Helpsheet
- The Careers Service Guide
- A range of Graduate Recruiter Directories / Internship Guides
To help you make contacts within different companies / organisations, UCL Careers Service hosts a wide range of events covering many different sectors.
These events vary in format from large recruitment fairs to presentations from individual companies or sector themed Q&A panels and informal networking events. All are great ways of meeting new people to add to your professional networking contacts list!
For more information on what's happening, look at the relevant sections of our Talk to Employers pages.
If you are unsure how to approach new contacts or build your professional network or just want some tips on how to make the most of networking opportunities / events, you can book a Short Guidance appointments to talk to a Careers Consultant about this.