If your application has been successful and you have been invited to take an online assessment or go to an assessment centre, use the resources below to help you prepare:
Downloadable Guides and Helpsheets
We publish a range of help sheets which are available as downloadable resources, including
- Psychometric Tests
- Selection Methods
plus a downloadable Interviews book:
- How to Succeed at Interviews (and other Selection Methods)
which has a detailed chapter on preparing for aptitude tests.
We have a
subscription to the full length,
online, timed numeracy and verbal reasoning test, (produced by Kenexa - one of the major testing bodies), which will allow you to practice tests similar to those used by a wide
range of graduate recruiters and receive immediate feedback on your
To receive log-in details for this test, simply email us from your UCL email account
including your full name and student ID (UPI) number which can be found on your
ID card. UCL GradClub members can register using a personal email address but must
have a validated GradClub membership card and include the ID number that's on
this. Alternatively, you can drop in to UCL Careers with current UCL
ID to request access.
Our staff and other Career Professionals from across our parent body, The Careers Group, University of London, have provided reviews and descriptions of a wide range of other websites and online resources on our online careers resource library - Careers Tagged. Sites we link to will include things like:
- General Aptitude Test guides
- Overviews of different types of tests used and why
- How employers assess performance
- How to best prepare for different types of tests
- Free sample questions to give you online practice*
- Online discussion forums so you can hear from other students who've been through similar tests
Search under tags such as "Psychometric tests" and "Aptitude Tests", or specific types of tests such as 'verbal reasoning tests', 'numeracy tests', 'critical thinking tests' etc. to find links to these resources.
*Please note: Links to sites with free test materials may also offer paid access to additional test materials which can be purchased on an individual basis if you feel they would add to the free resources suggested on this page.
We have a range of books with tips on preparing for different types of tests and sample questions including:
- Professional Level Psychometric Tests
- Practice Psychometric Tests
- The Civil Service Qualifying Tests
- How to Pass Numerical Reasoning Tests
- How to Pass Advanced / Intermediate Numeracy Tests
- How to Pass Advanced / Intermediate Verbal Reasoning Tests
Books can be used at the Careers Service or are available for loan for up to 3 working days for a returnable £10 cash deposit.
We have helpsheets available to pick up, including:
- Psychometric Tests
- Written and E-Tray Exercises
Skills Workshops and other Events:
At certain times of year, the Careers Service runs events which can be useful for aptitude test and assessment centre preparation. These include:
- Employer led Skills sessions (1-1 or interactive group sessions focussing on interview/assessment centre skills)
- Employer Presentations (Talks by companies about their opportunities which usually include tips on preparing for their particular interview process)
- Employer Fairs / Networking Events (A chance to network with employers and ask informally about interview techniques and aptitude tests)
- Careers Adviser led Interview Skills workshops specifically for Masters, PhD or International students
Short Guidance sessions can be used to discuss aptitude tests or to help you understand what employers look for with different selection methods.
If you have been invited to a real interview, a Practice Interview with an Adviser is the best way to experience a real interview situation, get feedback on your performance and tips on how to improve.
Page last modified on 27 feb 14 13:00 by Martin Brown