Information for current research students
This page is for current ICS research students and contains links to UCL student regulations and other essential information for research students throughout their time at UCL.
A great portal for all research students is the UCL Graduate School's website, this contains a helpful list of most of the things you will need to know as a student here.
For ICS specific information this welcome presentation from our Postgraduate Tutor Prof. Philippa Talmud is a good start.
- Code of Practice for Graduate Research Degrees - indispensable guide for students and supervisors who should both be fully conversant with its material.
- UCL Academic Regulations for research degree students
E-Log and skills development
The E-Log is an on-line documentation system to assist you throughout your degree programme at UCL. It provides a framework for recording details related to your graduate research programme, scheduled supervisory meetings and activities concerning the development of your academic and key skills. The E-Log is a mandatory component of all UCL research degree programmes and is a means of monitoring the progress of students within ICS, as well as helping to ensure that they are receiving adequate supervision. You will be expected to submit short Progress Reports and to identify Objectives & Required Skills at various intervals using your E-Log; and to document Upgrade and Supervisory Sessions. These reports will be signed off by your supervisor and your general progress checked by your Departmental Deputy Postgraduate Tutor. Current students can log into their electronic log book here.
The Graduate School provides students with full training to use the E-Log through the Skills Development Programme. This is mandatory for Research Council students, and highly recommended for all students.
- Upgrade from MPhil to PhD information
- CRS (Completing Research Student) status
- Research degree examination information
Information for supervisors
- Guidelines for the nomination of examiners for PhD, MD Res & MPhil students
- Supervisor’s guidelines to mandatory skills log
- Code of Practice for Graduate Research Degrees