UCL Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching
- About Us
- Faculty-Specific Provision
- Probationary Requirement
- Courses & Workshops
- Provost's Teaching Awards
- Projects & Resources
- Contact Us
Developing Students' Writing at UCL
26 April 2013, 13.00-16.00 in the Wilkins Haldane Room
|1.00-2.00 pm||Networking lunch (sandwiches and drinks provided)|
|2.00-2.05 pm||Opening address from Prof Anthony Smith, Vice-Provost (Education)|
|2.05-2.10 pm||Welcome and introduction to the SELCS Writing Lab from Dr Dilwyn Knox, Director of the School of European Languages, Culture and Society|
|2.15-2.45 pm||Discussion between participants about how their initiatives are helping to develop students' writing|
|2.45-3.45 pm||Open Space format to initiate discussion on key topics identified by participants. The umbrella question for the Open Space is: ‘How can we improve our support of student writing?’|
|3.45-4.00 pm||Coffee and round-up of Open Space discussions|
This event will provide a meeting and discussion space for members of UCL involved in the development and support of student writing. The convention will enable participants:
● to discover or expand their knowledge of initiatives within UCL;
● to share practical experiences, both organisational and pedagogical;
● to assist in problem-solving;
● to form networks to assist in future activities.
We hope to include the following contributors:
- Academic staff involved with credit-bearing modules that focus, in part or in whole, on the development of student writing.
- Academic staff who try to develop student writing in the context of their modules.
- Staff supporting student writing in departments (or similar) but not in the context of a specific module, eg. SELCS Writing Lab.
- Staff involved in the provision of institutional support in one way or another, eg. CALT, the Transitions Programme, Royal Literary Fund Writing Fellows, Careers, CLIE, etc.
- UCL Union initiatives, eg. Writing and Learning Support.
- Student initiatives, eg. UCLU Writer’s Society, EUREKA writing workshop, etc.
In support of the event we are asking participants:
- To provide links to a website related to their initiative, along with a two-sentence summary of what their initiative entails. This is to host on the UCL Teaching and Learning Portal to help as a guide to others who may want to follow your lead.
- To identify one key issue to discuss during the Open Space session
On the day we asking participants to:
- State what they would like to get out of the day
- Say a few words about how their initiative helps to develop students' writing at UCL
As indicated above, we are compiling a list of useful web
links as the start of a dynamic resource on the Teaching & Learning
Portal. We would like to use the event on 26 April both to launch this
resource but also to augment it. We would like to include the
- A comprehensive list of writing initiatives at UCL
- An online reading list of Library resources related to academic writing, also to be located on the Teaching & Learning Portal
- Training materials for UCL Staff to help develop their students' writing
- Future events and training on the theme of Developing Students' Writing at UCL
Anyone interested in attending is invited to email Abbie Willett (email@example.com).
The convention is organized by: Dr. Geraldine Brodie, Supervisor, SELCS Writing Lab, and Dr. Nick Grindle, UCL Centre for the Advancement of Learning & Teaching.
Page last modified on 03 oct 13 16:47