UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Streets, Squares, and Buildings

Doughty Estate

Estates in Bloomsbury

1 Duke of Bedford
2 City of London Corporation
3 Capper Mortimer
4 Fitzroy (Duke of Grafton)
5 Somers
6 Skinners' (Tonbridge)
7 Battle Bridge
8 Lucas
9 Harrison
10 Foundling Hospital
11 Rugby
12 Bedford Charity (Harpur)
13 Doughty
14 Gray's Inn
15 Bainbridge–Dyott (Rookeries)

Area between the Foundling and Harrison estates: Church land

Grey areas: fragmented ownership and haphazard development; already built up by 1800

About the Doughty Estate

The Doughty estate in the south-east of Bloomsbury was part of extensive lands owned by the Doughty and Tichborne families, mainly outside London (Survey of London, vol. 24, 1952)

Its proximity to the Foundling Estate meant that in the late eighteenth century it was involved in exchanges of land to enable the Foundling Estate to connect its new residential developments with the rest of London (Survey of London, vol. 24, 1952)

This also prompted the Doughty estate owners to begin developing their land (Survey of London, vol. 24, 1952)

The estate is sometimes also known as the Brownlow–Doughty estate, after William Brownlow, who built the streets in the late seventeenth century, and Elizabeth Brownlow, who had married into the Doughty family

In 1867 the estate was embroiled in the celebrated Tichborne case, when a claimant came forward asserting his identity as Sir Roger Charles Doughty-Tichborne, which would have entitled him to the Doughty estate in Bloomsbury along with other property (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, entry for Tichborne claimant)

Sir Edward Doughty, né Tichborne, came into possession of the Doughty estate in 1826 from his cousin, Mrs Elizabeth Doughty, daughter of George Brownlow-Doughty and granddaughter of the fourth Baronet Tichborne; he changed his name to Doughty as a condition of the settlement (Gentleman’s Magazine, vol. 193, May 1853)

Prior to this, it was Henry Doughty who had been negotiating land deals with the Foundling Estate on behalf of the Doughty Estate (Survey of London, vol. 24, 1952)

The entire estate was sold off in 1921; Joseph Henry Bernard Doughty Tichborne, The Doughty Estate, Holborn (1921) has details and plans of the property included in the sale

North Place

Also known as Gray’s Inn Road (of which it officially became part in 1862)

Not to be confused with North Place near Cromer Street

It was in the east of Bloomsbury, on the Brownlow–Doughty estate; it was the name given to the terrace forming the west side of Gray’s Inn Road above Henry Street

It appears with numbered houses on Horwood’s map of 1807

There were few buildings this far north on Gray’s Inn Road in the middle of the eighteenth century, and the area west of the road was mainly fields

It may have been named for North Mews, to which it ran parallel

Its name also reflects the development of Gray’s Inn Road from south to north

Horwood’s map of 1819 shows consecutive numbers from 1 to 36, running from south to north, with Guilford Street intervening between nos 28 and 29

As such it was deliberately divided from Upper North Place, the terrace below it, which had numbering running from north to south

There was a grocers in the early 1820s, although he went bankrupt (The Times, 28 November 1821, 23 May 1822)

In 1862 it was integrated into Gray’s Inn Road proper and renumbered

This page last modified 14 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google