UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Streets, Squares, and Buildings

Fitzroy (Duke of Grafton) Estate

Estates in Bloomsbury

1 Duke of Bedford
2 City of London Corporation
3 Capper Mortimer
4 Fitzroy (Duke of Grafton)
5 Somers
6 Skinners' (Tonbridge)
7 Battle Bridge
8 Lucas
9 Harrison
10 Foundling Hospital
11 Rugby
12 Bedford Charity (Harpur)
13 Doughty
14 Gray's Inn
15 Bainbridge–Dyott (Rookeries)

Area between the Foundling and Harrison estates: Church land

Grey areas: fragmented ownership and haphazard development; already built up by 1800

About the Fitzroy (Duke of Grafton) Estate (also known as the Southampton Estate)

The north-west corner of Bloomsbury lies within what was originally Home Field, part of the manor of Tottenhall, owned from the seventeenth century by the Fitzroy family (Survey of London, vol. 21, 1949)

The names of the estate and many of its streets come from the name of family and its titles: Henry Fitzroy, an illegitimate son of Charles II, was created Earl of Euston and later Duke of Grafton in the seventeenth century, and his descendant Charles Fitzroy became first Baron Southampton in the eighteenth century (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography)

The estate has no connection with the former Southampton estate in the south of Bloomsbury which belonged to the earlier Earls of Southampton and was acquired by the Dukes of Bedford when this Southampton title became extinct

The Bloomsbury part of the Fitzroy estate was developed in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century

Most of its streets have disappeared entirely under twentieth-century redevelopment, but one of its names, Euston, was the name chosen for the entirety of the Bloomsbury portion of the New Road in 1857, as well as the name given to the first of the three major mainline railway termini built along the road

Phillips Garden

Also known as Phillips’s Garden

It was in the north-west corner of Bloomsbury, being a small terrace north of Tottenham Place, according to Lockie’s Topography of London (1810) (the entry mistakenly calls Tottenham Place “Tottenham Street” in the description but clearly Tottenham Place is meant)

It ran south from Euston Road, west of Gower Street and east of Beaumont Place, which was at that time joined to Euston Road

Its buildings do not appear on Bowles’s map of 1805, although Phillips Row does; but the five-house terrace is shown (but not named) on Horwood’s map of 1807; it is named on Greenwood’s map of 1830

Although in the general area of the Fitzroy (Duke of Grafton) estate, it was actually part of the small estate belonging to Thomas Phillips ordered to be sold in 1802 after his death (The Times, 5 February 1802)

There is no sign of it on the Ordnance Survey map of 1867–1870

This page last modified 14 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google