UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Streets, Squares, and Buildings


Estates in Bloomsbury

1 Duke of Bedford
2 City of London Corporation
3 Capper Mortimer
4 Fitzroy (Duke of Grafton)
5 Somers
6 Skinners' (Tonbridge)
7 Battle Bridge
8 Lucas
9 Harrison
10 Foundling Hospital
11 Rugby
12 Bedford Charity (Harpur)
13 Doughty
14 Gray's Inn
15 Bainbridge–Dyott (Rookeries)

Area between the Foundling and Harrison estates: Church land

Grey areas: fragmented ownership and haphazard development; already built up by 1800

Area of fragmented ownership

The area extending north from High Holborn east of the Bedford estate boundary at Southampton Row and King Street, being nearer to the city of London, was developed much earlier than the fields to its north

The major landowners in the east of this area were Gray’s Inn, and the Bedford Charity, Doughty, and Rugby estates, all of which also began developing their land in the late seventeenth or early eighteenth century

Nicholas Barbon, who was the first major speculative builder in the area, laid out Red Lion Square itself as well as many of the streets further north and east; it is not clear who owned the land of Red Lion Fields on which the Square was built

To its north, Queen Square and surrounding land was part of an estate owned by the Curzons of Kedleston, Derbyshire, also developed in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century, but sold off by about 1779 to pay off debts

Queen Square and Red Lion Square in particular, as well as the smaller streets in the area around them, thus became attractive locations in the nineteenth century to institutions which would have found it more difficult to establish themselves on the surrounding estates with their restrictions on non-residential and commercial tenants

Along the borders of Bloomsbury, the increasing importance of Euston Road, Gray’s Inn Road, High Holborn, and Tottenham Court Road as through traffic routes meant that they became more unified and coherent as streets, despite the multiplicity of estates whose land they had originally incorporated; as their residential significance to those estates waned, so they too became easier targets for institutions

Fisher Court

Also known as Fisher’s Court

Not to be confused with Fisher’s Court, Whitefriars

It was one of the numerous tiny courtyards running south off Eagle Street, in the south-east of Bloomsbury, just west of where the BPP Law School now stands

According to Lockie’s Topography of London, it was “nearly op. 27 [Eagle Street], about seven doors on the L, from 65, Red-lion-st. Holborn” (John Lockie, Lockie’s Topography of London, Giving a Concise Local Description of and Accurate Direction to Every Square, Street, Lane, Court, Dock, Wharf, Inn, Public-Office, &c, in the Metropolis and its Environs, 1810) and this is exactly where it appears on Horwood’s map of 1799

This area was developed in the late seventeenth century by Nicholas Barbon

The street is described by Strype in his Survey of 1720 as “a pretty handsome open Place, with a Freestone Pavement” (John Strype, Stow’s Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, Corrected, Improved and Very Much Enlarged, 1720)

It was presumably named, like Fisher Street, after Thomas Fisher, who owned land in Red Lion Fields in the sixteenth century

No numbers appear on Horwood’s maps; by this stage, it may have become more of a mews

In 1861 suspected counterfeiters William Jones, alias Bumble, and his supposed wife Margaret Jones, were arrested at no. 1 (The Times, 3 September 1861)

It apparently no longer exists

This page last modified 14 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google