UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Streets, Squares, and Buildings

Bedford Charity (Harpur) Estate

Estates in Bloomsbury

1 Duke of Bedford
2 City of London Corporation
3 Capper Mortimer
4 Fitzroy (Duke of Grafton)
5 Somers
6 Skinners' (Tonbridge)
7 Battle Bridge
8 Lucas
9 Harrison
10 Foundling Hospital
11 Rugby
12 Bedford Charity (Harpur)
13 Doughty
14 Gray's Inn
15 Bainbridge–Dyott (Rookeries)

Area between the Foundling and Harrison estates: Church land

Grey areas: fragmented ownership and haphazard development; already built up by 1800

About the Bedford Charity (Harpur) Estate

Emerald Street

Also known as Green Street

Not to be confused with Green Street, Grosvenor Square, Green Street, Leicester Square, or any other Green Street in London

It formed one of the boundaries of the Bedford Charity (Harpur) estate after 1654

It was originally named either after Edmond Greene (headmaster of Bedford School) or after the nearby bowling green and cockpit area

In the late nineteenth century there was a rear entrance here to French’s Dairy in Chapel Street


This page last modified 14 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google