UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


University of London (from 1836)


The original University of London opened in Gower Street in 1828, without having a charter to award degrees; in 1836 it won its degree-awarding charter on condition that its name be changed to University College London.

A new University of London was created at the same time, at first as a purely examining body for students of both University College and King's College.

The University's administrative offices moved to Bloomsbury in the 1930s with the building of Senate House on Malet Street. For the complex history of the federal University of London, see Negley Harte, The University of London 1836-1986 (1986).



This page last modified 21 November, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google