UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Teachers’ Guild of Great Britain and Ireland

Also known as Education Guild of Great Britain and Ireland


It was founded as the Teachers’ Guild in 1883 as a professional association for teachers

It became the incorporated Teachers’ Guild of Great Britain and Ireland in 1885

It produced its own journal, the Journal of Education (not to be confused with the Quarterly Journal of Education produced by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge)

When the Teachers’ Registration Council was established in 1900, the Teachers’ Guild was one of the three Bloomsbury-based bodies of the six who could appoint members to this council, the others being the College of Preceptors and the National Union of Teachers (Richard Willis, The Struggle for the National Teaching Council, 2005)

The Guild became the Education Guild in 1921 and went into voluntary liquidation in 1929

What was reforming about it?

It was “the first serious attempt in England to bring together teachers of all ranks, and to enable them to interchange experience” (Joshua Fitch, Educational Aims and Methods: Lectures and Addresses, 1900)

Where in Bloomsbury

It was at 74 Gower Street in the late nineteenth century (Post Office directories, 1891, 1901)

It had a library there comprising more than 9000 volumes (Reginald Arthur Rye, The Libraries of London: A Guide for Students, 1910) and advertised an “educational museum” there in 1892

It seems to have been based at 9 Brunswick Square in the 1920s (The Libraries, Museums and Art Galleries Year Book, 1928)

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


Its records (consisting of council minutes) are held at the Modern Records Centre of the University of Warwick, ref. GB 0152 MSS.413; details are available online from the University of Warwick’s library website (opens in new window)

Part of its collection of books, the Quick Memorial Library, acquired in 1900, was donated to the University of London in 1929 when the Guild was wound up; details are available from Special Collections at Senate House Library, University of London (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google