UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Tavistock Place Training College


It was founded in 1879 by the Froebel Society, opening on 3 May with ten pupils for the non-denominational, Froebelian training of teachers (Froebel Society minutes, 5 October 1877; The Times, 12 December 1879; Peter Weston, The Froebel Educational Institute: The Origins and History of the College, 2002)

Its first Principal was Caroline Garrison Bishop, one of the founding members of the Froebel Society; her successor from 1881 to 1883 was Penelope Lawrence, later a founder of Roedean School, Brighton (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography)

Its Hon. Secretary in 1883 was Miss Eve (Froebel Society minutes, 16 June 1883) Read more about the Eve family

It was not a success, and was taken over in 1883 by what became Maria Grey College, which opened a Tavistock Place Kindergarten there (Irene Lilley, Maria Grey College 1878–1976, 1981)

It no longer exists; nor does its successor institution, Maria Grey Training College

What was reforming about it?

It arose out of the pioneering Kindergarten movement and was intended to train teachers for this system

Where in Bloomsbury

It opened at 31 Tavistock Place in 1879, almost next door to the house where the Ronges had started the movement a quarter of a century earlier as the Humanistic Schools

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

Irene Lilley, Maria Grey College 1878–1976 (1981)

See also the resource for Froebelian history and archives, www.froebelweb.com (opens in new window)


There are some relevant records at the successor institution of the Froebel Educational Institute, Froebel College (part of Roehampton University London); details are available online via the Roehampton University website (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google