UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


St George’s Bloomsbury

Also known as St George Bloomsbury


Built by Hawksmoor between 1716 and 1731 (and extended in 1781), it was the parish church of a new parish, Bloomsbury

It was one of the twelve ordered by a 1711 Act of Parliament to remedy London’s shortage of parish churches

Its parish covered an area previously part of the parish of St Giles, and focused on the residential developments around the great houses of Southampton, Montagu, and Thanet

What was reforming about it?


Where in Bloomsbury

It is on Hart Street

Website of current institution

www.stgeorgesbloomsbury.org.uk (opens in new window)

Books about it

Rowland Dobie, The History of the United Parishes of St Giles in the Fields and St George Bloomsbury (1829)

Colin Amery, Kerry Downes, and Gavin Stamp, St George’s Bloomsbury (2008)


Its archives are in Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre, ref. P/GB/; more details are available online via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 14 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google