UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Society for Promoting Industry and Religious Instruction amongst the Jews of Both Sexes


It was founded in 1846 “to lead the rising generation of Jews into habits of industry and a knowledge of the Word of God, as revealed in the Old and New Testaments; and teach them various useful Trades, united with a system of Bible Instruction” (Sampson Low, The Charities of London, 1850)

Its Treasurer in 1850 was John Labouchere (who was also Treasurer of the London Society for Promoting Christianity among the Jews from 1831) and its Hon. Secretary was J. G. Simpson (Sampson Low, The Charities of London, 1850)

It no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

It was one of the few overtly evangelising charities directed at Jewish people

Where in Bloomsbury

It was based at 27 Red Lion Square in 1850 (Sampson Low, The Charities of London, 1850)

It also established a printing press in Theobald’s Road (Sampson Low, The Charities of London, 1850)

Website of current institution

Books about it

None found


Papers of its Hon. Secretary J. G. Simpson, including his diaries, are held in the National Library of Scotland, ref. Acc.12489; details are available online via the Library’s website (opens in new window)

This page last modified 14 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google