UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS)

Not to be confused with the Royal Veterinary College


It was founded in 1844 by Royal Charter as a professional association to create and regulate veterinary medicine as a profession; the first actual Veterinary College (now the Royal Veterinary College) had been founded in Camden in 1791

Its Library was founded in 1853 and is now administered by a charity (the RCVS Trust) set up by the RCVS in 1958

It continues to regulate the veterinary profession in the United Kingdom

What was reforming about it?

It made the medical treatment of animals into a profession for the first time

Where in Bloomsbury

After holding its early meetings in temporary premises, the College took a lease of 10 Red Lion Square in 1853 (Pamela Hunter, Veterinary Medicine: A Guide to Historical Sources, 2004)

It continued to occupy 10 Red Lion Square until the late twentieth century, although the premises (including the library) were damaged by bombs during the Second World War

It moved to Belgrave Square in the 1960s and subsequently to Horseferry Road, Westminster

Website of current institution

www.rcvs.org.uk (opens in new window)

Books about it

Rather surprisingly, there appears to be no written history of the organisation


Its extensive and detailed records are held on site at Belgravia House, Westminster, London; details are available in Pamela Hunter, Veterinary Medicine: A Guide to Historical Sources (2004)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google