UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Quekett Microscopical Club

Also known as The Quekett


It was founded in 1865 as a society for the promotion of microscopy

When it was evicted from 20 Hanover Square in 1919, its collection of books was moved to the Natural History Museum in South Kensington

It continues to be a Society for amateur and professional microscopy, and is a registered charity

What was reforming about it?

It was only the second organisation of its kind in the world (after the Royal Microscopy Society, founded in 1839), and was considerably more informal

Where in Bloomsbury

Its early meetings were held at University College London, until the Society moved to its own premises at 20 Hanover Square (by 1895)

Website of current institution

www.quekett.org (opens in new window)

Books about it

The Third Annual Quekett Dinner ... With an Account of the Origin and Progress of the Quekett Microscopical Club (1878)

B. M. Davidson, ‘50 Years of Club Life, 1940–1990,’ Quekett Journal of Microscopy, vol. 37 (1994)

It has published its journal, The Quekett Journal of Microscopy, since 1868; digital copies are available for purchase from the Society


A copy of its printed Prospectus and By-laws (undated) is held at the Royal Society, ref. RS2/Volume 14/106-107; details are available online via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google