UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Medical Graduates’ College and Polyclinic

Also known as Polyclinic


It was founded around 1899 by Sir Jonathan Hutchinson, Sir William Broadbent, and Fletcher Little, for the postgraduate training of doctors

At the time “Polyclinic” was a common name for hospitals in other countries, and there were notable Polyclinics in Rome and New York

Hutchinson donated his collection of medical specimens and drawings to the College in 1899 (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography says 1889)

He also lectured there; eugenist Caleb Saleeby was one of his students in 1901 (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography), and he edited its journal, the Polyclinic; he moved to Gower Street in 1907 to be closer to the college (biography from archive description, Royal College of Physicians)

According to Brian F. Russell’s obituary of Hutchinson in the British Journal of Dermatology, Hutchinson had hoped to amalgamate the College with a large general hospital, but “it did not prosper and had to close down” (British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 81, 1969)

It closed in 1927

What was reforming about it?

It was the first postgraduate medical establishment in Britain

It also admitted women from 1904 (The Times, 29 March 1904)

Where in Bloomsbury

It was located at 22 Chenies Street, apparently because of the proximity of this location to University College Hospital

The Post Office Directory for 1902 lists it there still, as does an advertisement for the College in the Journal of Laryngology, Rhinology, and Otology in 1910

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


Its minute-book was donated to the Royal Society of Medicine when the institution closed, and is held in their archives, ref. RSM/02; details are available online via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google