UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


New Providence Chapel

Also known as Proprietary Episcopal Chapel/St Bartholomew’s Chapel


It began in Titchfield Street as a proprietary chapel for the congregation of the Rev. William Huntingdon

This building burned down in 1810, and the congregation moved to a new chapel built for them in Gray’s Inn Road, which opened in 1811 (Survey of London, vol. 21, 1949)

Some of its members seceded and built Gower Street Chapel in 1820 (Survey of London, vol. 21, 1949)

The Chapel continued to be a proprietary chapel until 1836, when it became Episcopal; in 1846 its freehold was purchased and it became a parish church, St Bartholomew’s (Frederick Miller, St Pancras – Past and Present, 1874 )

The building in Gray’s Inn Road was hit by bombing in the Second World War, and subsequently demolished

What was reforming about it?

It began as a proprietary (independent) chapel associated with the eccentric Rev. William Huntingdon

Where in Bloomsbury

It was in Gray’s Inn Road from 1811 until the twentieth century, when it was demolished after war damage

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


Its baptism records from 1811–1835 are held in the National Archives, ref. RG 4/4242; details are available online via Access to Archives (opens in new window) and electronic versions of the records can be searched free online via BMDregisters.co.uk (opens in new window)

Records of the amalgamation of the parish with St George the Martyr are held in Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre; brief details are available online via Camden Council (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google