UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


National Training School of Dancing


It was established by the opera impresario James Mapleson and run from 1876 by the famous Austrian choreographer and dancer Katti Lanner (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, entry for Katti Lanner; the institution is not mentioned in the entry for James Mapleson)

Lanner was often credited with having founded the School herself (eg New York Times, 16 November 1908)

According to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, “[s]he later became sole owner of the school, intending ‘the resuscitation of the faded glories of ballet, and to bring a thorough knowledge of the choreography art within the range of those classes among whom talent most abounds’ ”

Performances at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane given by its pupils, who were children, were advertised in The Times throughout the 1870s and 1880s

It no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

It provided a high standard of professional dance training to children as young as ten (Alexandra Carter, Dance and Dancers in the Victorian and Edwardian Music Hall Ballet, 2005)

Where in Bloomsbury

It was at 73 Tottenham Court Road by 1875

This property was, however, unoccupied by the time of the 1881 census, when Lanner had moved to Kennington

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

Pamela Horn, ‘English Theatre Children, 1880–1914: A Study in Ambivalence’, History of Education: Journal of the History of Education Society, vol. 25 (1996)

There is a brief account in Alexandra Carter, Dance and Dancers in the Victorian and Edwardian Music Hall Ballet (2005)


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google