UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


National School (Dutton Street)

Also known as St Peter’s National School/St Peter’s School


It was a school for boys and girls which originally operated as a church school under the aegis of St Peter’s, Regent Square, and was later transferred to the control of the London School Board in the 1880s (P90/PET/80, P90/PET/81/1–2, July–August 1884, London Metropolitan Archives)

It apparently no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

It became part of the school reforms of the 1880s

Where in Bloomsbury

It was on Dutton Street until wholesale demolition and redevelopment of the area in the late nineteenth century forced it to move or close

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


Documents relating to the redevelopment of Dutton Street are held in London Metropolitan Archives, ref. P90/PET/82/1–16; more details are available online via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 14 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google