UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


National Free Dispensary for Consumption and Wasting Diseases


It was founded by George Overend Drewry in the 1870s, apparently to sell hydroleine, his cod-liver-oil preparation (The Times, 25 December 1880)

Drewry (1839–1892), its physician, was the author of Common-Sense Management of the Stomach (1875), Consumption and Wasting Diseases Successfully Treated by “Hydrated Oil,” etc (1877), and also editor of the journal Health: A Family Magazine (1877–1881)

He lived in 2 rooms at 23 Great James Street at the time of the 1891 census; his relationship, if any, to the novelists Edith Stewart Drewry of Queen Square and Laurentia Drewry is unknown

It apparently no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

Where in Bloomsbury

It was at 163 Gower Street (right at the top, on the west side) in the late 1870s and early 1880s (Medical Press and Circular, 1877; Post Office directory, 1881)

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google