UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Model Soup Kitchen


It was founded in 1846 to provide soup to the poor, particularly during the winter months

It was the place to which George Du Maurier was said to have sent a pavement artist from his pitch on the Hampstead Road, replacing his drawings with his own society cartoons, in an anecdote often repeated after Du Maurier’s death (see, for example, The Literary World, 1896; The Critic, The Literary Era, and The Month in Literature, Art and Life, 1897)

It was also itself depicted by Lionel J. Cowen in a painting exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1887

It apparently no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

It was a non-sectarian institution (The Times, 23 December 1913)

Where in Bloomsbury

It was at 357 Euston Road from at least 1876 to at least 1917 (The Times, 22 December 1876 ; Herbert Fry, Guide to the London Charities, 1917)

It had moved from 357 Euston Road by 1921, when this address was occupied by the makers of memorials G. Maile and Son (The Times, 7 February 1921)

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


Some limited documents relating to “vagrants” causing an obstruction at the Euston Road premises in the early twentieth century are held in the National Archive as part of the records of the Metropolitan Police, ref. MEPO 2/1151; further details online are available via The National Archive (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google