UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Mesmeric Infirmary

Also known as London Mesmeric Infirmary


It was opened in March 1850 by John Elliotson, who was also its Treasurer, supported by a committee which included Isaac Lyon Goldsmid (Morning Post, 24 May 1850)

It was still there at the time of the 1851 census, with Thomas Capern as its Resident Superintendent and Secretary to the Mesmeric Society

It moved briefly to Fitzroy Square in 1853, but local opposition forced it to leave these premises and reopen in Weymouth Street (Morning Post, 18 June 1853; The Times, 2 May 1854)

It was still advertising in 1869 (The Times, 2 June 1869) but thereafter seems to have ceased to exist

What was reforming about it?

Mesmerism was controversial and had ultimately been responsible for founder John Elliotson losing his job at University College and its Hospital

Supporters consider that Elliotson and his Infirmary pioneered the use of hypotism in medical operations

Where in Bloomsbury

It opened in March 1850 at 9 Bedford Street, but had left Bloomsbury by 1853, moving briefly to Fitzroy Square and then to Weymouth Street, where it remained for the rest of its short existence

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

Its annual reports were published; copies are held in the British Library and other academic libraries


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google