UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Maternity Nursing Mission

Also known as Maternity Nursing Association


It was founded by Miss Edith May in 1897 as the Maternity Nursing Mission to provide properly qualified midwives to attend poor women in their own homes during pregnancy and childbirth (The Times, 27 November 1901)

In 1901 it was reported that 257 cases had been attended during the past year, 40 more than the previous year; as a result, the institution’s finances were in deficit for the first time (The Times, 27 November 1901)

It was taken over by the National Health Service in 1948 and London County Council in 1954

It apparently no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

It was founded to try to improve professional standards among midwives

At the time it was estimated that two-thirds of deaths from childbirth were preventable (The Times, 27 November 1901)

Where in Bloomsbury

Its work was carried out in the parishes of St Andrew, Holborn and St Jude, Gray’s Inn Road

It was also based in Bloomsbury for at least part of its existence; in 1901 its headquarters were at 5 Little James Street (The Times, 27 November 1901)

It later moved to Myddelton Square, in the City of London (Charities Digest, 1907)

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


Its records (twentieth-century only) are held in London Metropolitan Archives, ref. H33/MNA; details are available online via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google