UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


London Infirmary for Diseases of the Skin

Also known as London Infirmary for the Treatment of Diseases of
the Skin


It was founded in 1835 as a specialist skin hospital (Nick Black, Walking London’s Medical History, 2006)

Its physician was Dr J. P. Litchfield (The Lancet, vol. 1, 1835–1836)

It apparently closed shortly afterwards, in 1837, despite the high hopes its founders had originally had for it, and the royal patronage they had apparently attracted (The Lancet, vol. 1, 1835–1836)

What was reforming about it?

It was one of the earliest of the new specialist hospitals which abounded in the nineteenth century, many of them in Bloomsbury

Where in Bloomsbury

It was at 51 Great Ormond Street from its foundation in 1835 to its closure in 1837

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google