UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Thomas Leverton’s Charity

Also known as Leverton Charity/Leverton’s Charity


It was founded in 1824 with money left under the will of Thomas Leverton, architect and surveyor, designer and resident of Bedford Square, and uncle of architect Thomas Leverton Donaldson

It was designed to aid deserving women in distress, preferably widows resident in the united parishes of St Giles and St George (www.stgilescharities.org.uk/html/history.html)

Leverton also founded charity schools

In 2005 the Charity was amalgamated with three other local charities, including the Bloomsbury Dispensary, into the St Giles-in-the-Fields and Bloomsbury United Charity (www.stgilescharities.org.uk/html/history.html)

What was reforming about it?

It was an attempt by one of Bloomsbury’s richest residents to alleviate the extreme poverty of some of his south Bloomsbury neighbours

Where in Bloomsbury

Aimed primarily at residents of the combined parish of St Giles and St George, it was always administered by the Vestry of those churches

Website of current institution

The successor institution is the St Giles-in-the-Fields and Bloomsbury United Charity, www.stgilescharities.org.uk (opens in new window)

Books about it

There is an account of its foundation online at Thwww.stgilescharities.org.uk/html/history.html (opens in new window)


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google