UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Ladies’ Samaritan Society


It was founded in or before by one of the National Hospital’s founders, Johanna Chandler, as a charity which operated in association with the Hospital in Queen Square to provide financial assistance and support to thd families of the Hospital’s patients (Angela Burdett-Coutts et al, Woman’s Mission: A Series of Congress Papers on the Philanthropic Work of Women, 1893)

In 1892, along with the Hospital, it helped to found the National Society for the Employment of Epileptics (Review of the Epilepsy Group 1990–1999, published by the Institute of Neurology)

The National Society for the Employment of Epileptics has become the largest UK epilepsy charity

The Ladies’ Samaritan Society itself still exists as a registered charity and continues to provide help to patients of the National Hospital when this is not provided by the National Health Service

What was reforming about it?

It was part of a concerted effort by the Chandlers to provide not only medical care but also all-round assistance for epileptics and their families

It helped to establish the UK’s largest epilepsy charity

Where in Bloomsbury

It was located at 23 Queen Square in the 1880s and 1890s

It is currently based in the Barbican area of London

Website of current institution

The Society does not have a website


Books about it

None found


Its records have not been found

A receipt from the Society dating from 1862 is in the collection of the University of Nottingham and can be viewed online via the University’s Manuscripts and Special Collections website (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google