UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Ladies’ Charity School

Also known as Ladies’ Charity Home for Girls/Ladies’ Charity School for Training Girls as Servants

Not to be confused with the Ladies’ Charity School, Highgate


It was founded in 1701 to train poor girls for domestic service

At the time of the 1881 census it was under the superintendence of Lucy L. Green

It no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

Its move to Bloomsbury in the middle of the nineteenth century was a sign of the increasing concentration of charitable foundations in what had previously been a well-to-do residential area

Where in Bloomsbury

It moved to John Street in 1847 and subsequently, around 1859, took over the premises at 22 Queen Square formerly used by the Ladies’ Academy

It was supposedly there only until 1863, although it was still advertising in The Times from this address in 1865, and listed there in Walford’s Old and New London in 1878, Dickens’s Dictionary of London in 1879, and the 1881 census

It moved to Notting Hill some time in the later nineteenth century

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


Records from its time in Notting Hill only (1897–1924) are held at the National Archives, ref. ED 49/4993; details are available online via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google