UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Homes for Working Boys

Also known as Home for Working Boys/Rossie House

Not to be confused with Rossie House, south-west London, a dining-hall of the YWCA run by Arthur Kinnaird’s sister Emily Kinnaird and others (The Times, 5 May 1916)


It was established by Tom Pelham, Arthur Kinnaird, and Quintin Hogg in 1870, to save boys from the supposed temptations of common lodging houses

It set up many homes across London, the first near the Strand

The Home in Queen Square closed in 1924, although it may have later moved to Dulwich and been renamed Kinnaird House (Arthur Kinnaird was second Baron Kinnaird of Rossie and subsequently tenth Lord Kinnaird)

The organisation merged with the Fellowship of St Christopher in 1967

It continues to support vulnerable young people across the country; it is the only children’s charity that is also a housing association

What was reforming about it?

It was particularly concerned with young men and boys who came to London to find work and ended up homeless

Where in Bloomsbury

One of the homes, Rossie House, was at 35 Lamb’s Conduit Street from perhaps as early as 1879 until about 1902, when it moved to 16 Queen Square

It closed in 1924, possibly moving elsewhere

Website of current institution

The successor institution is St Christopher’s Fellowship, www.stchris.org.uk

Books about it

There is a brief outline of the organisation’s history on its website, www.stchris.org.uk (opens in new window)


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google