UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


House of Relief for Children with Chronic Disease of the Joints

Also known as Alexandra Hospital for Poor Children with Hip Disease/Alexandra Hospital for Children with Hip Disease


It was founded in 1867 as a specialist hospital for children with hip and joint diseases

Its founders were two nurses, Catherine Wood, the most senior nurse at the Hospital for Sick Children (Nick Black, Walking London’s Medical History, 2006), and another nurse from the same Hospital, Jane Perceval, granddaughter of the assassinated British Prime Minister Spencer Perceval (Godfrey Heathcote Hamilton, Queen Square: Its Neighbourhood and its Institutions, 1926)

The Hospital treated children on site and in country convalescent homes

The Hospital moved out of London in 1920 and closed in 1958

The building in Queen Square was eventually acquired by the National Hospital for Nervous Diseases

What was reforming about it?

It was the “first hospital in London to be founded by nurses” (Nick Black, Walking London’s Medical History, 2006)

Where in Bloomsbury

It was located from its foundation in 1867 at 19 Queen Square

It expanded into nos 18 and 17 Queen Square in the 1870s, as well as the adjacent 1 Queen Square Place in the 1880s

These houses were demolished in 1899 and replaced by a purpose-built hospital on the same site, Alexandra House; in the meantime, patients continued to be treated in a temporary site at 34 Guilford Street

The Hospital moved out of London in 1920 and closed in 1958

Website of current institution

It no longer exists, and there is no successor institution

Books about it

None found


Its archives are held by St Bartholomew’s Hospital (“Barts”), ref. GB 0405 A; details are available online via www.aim25.ac.uk (opens in new window)

Details of access to the Barts archive are also available online from the website of Barts and the London NHS Trust (opens in new window)

Its administrative records from 1897–1938 are held by London Metropolitan Archives, ref. SC/PPS/093//01; details are available via the National Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 26 June, 2012 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google