UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Medical, Clerical, and General Life Assurance Society

Also known as Clerical, Medical and General/Clerical Medical


It was founded in 1824 by George Pinckard, founder and physician of the Bloomsbury Dispensary as a life assurance association

By the 1990s, its assets totalled £15 billion

In 1996, it merged with the Halifax Building Society, and it became part of the HBOS group in 2001

What was reforming about it?

It used travelling salesmen to advertise the business

Where in Bloomsbury

Its first board meeting was held at 32 Russell Square in 1824

Its first headquarters was 32 Great Russell Street; it subsequently moved to 4 Southampton Street in 1827, and then to 78 Great Russell Street

It moved out of Bloomsbury in 1855

Website of current institution

The successor institution is the HBOS Group, www.hbosplc.com (opens in new window)

Books about it

A. D. Besant, Our Centenary: Being the History of the First Hundred Years of the Clerical, Medical and General Life Assurance Society (1924)

There is also some historical information on the company’s website, at www.hbosplc.com (opens in new window)


Its records are held in HBOS archives; details are available online via the company’s website, www.hbosplc.com (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google