UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Christ Church

Also known as Christ Church, Woburn Square


It was built in 1831–1833 to a design by Lewis Vulliamy as a chapel of ease to the parish church of St George’s, Bloomsbury

It was later restored with the addition of stained glass windows by Burne-Jones

It was demolished in 1974 to make way for further expansion of the University of London buildings in the area (which were never actually built)

What was reforming about it?

Nothing, with the possible exception of its redesigned windows

Where in Bloomsbury

It was on the east side of Woburn Square

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


Its minutes and accounts from 1830–1845 are held in Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre; brief details are available online via Camden Council (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google