UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Burton Street Hall


It was built in 1811 as a church hall for the Particular Baptists

It was also used by Robert Owen in the 1820s and 1830s; his London Co-Operative Society held its inaugural meeting there in 1824

After 1837 it was used by the Swedenborgians, until it became St Pancras Free Church in 1949 (this was free in a financial rather than theological sense, and owned by the parish church of St Pancras itself)

It was demolished in 1927

What was reforming about it?

It hosted various local reforming institutions in the nineteenth century

Where in Bloomsbury

It was located in Burton Street, on the site of modern no. 39

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


None found

This page last modified 14 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google