UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


British Asylum for Deaf and Dumb Females


It was founded in 1851 to educate, train, and give religious instruction to adult female deaf-mutes, who were defined as those over the age of 10 (The Times, 17 September 1886; 8 April 1887)

Its Treasurer was Pascoe C. Glyn and its Secretary was W. T. Hillyer (The Times, 20 July 1887)

It no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

It claimed to be “the only charity in England which meets the needs of adult female deaf-mutes” (Christmas appeal in The Times, 25 December 1884)

Where in Bloomsbury

Its office was originally at 27 Red Lion Square

By 1897 the office had moved to 5 Bloomsbury Square (The Times, 13 November 1897)

The asylum itself, however, was never in Bloomsbury; it began at Stamford Hill in 1851, moved to Eagle House, Homerton, in 1857, and to 179 Lower Clapton Road, formerly nicknamed ‘Piss Pot Hall’, in 1864

This building was demolished in 1933 but the Home moved to Clapton Common, where it remained until c. 1986 (T. F. T. Baker (ed), Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, vol. 10, 1995)

The office had also moved out of Bloomsbury to Clapton by the time of its listing in Herbert Fry’s Royal Guide to London Charities (1917)

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


Committee meetings, financial records, and annual reports up to 1975 held by Hackney Council Archives, ref. D/S/14; details are available via the Guide to Hackney Archives Collection (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google