UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Bedford College School


It was founded in 1853 as a private school for girls, in association with the new Ladies’ College founded by Elisabeth Jesser Reid

Following Mrs Reid’s death in 1866, her three Trustees, Eliza Bostock, Jane Martineau, and Eleanor Smith, closed the School in 1868 after arguments with its headmistress Frances Martin, who was inclined to turn it into an Anglican institution

A later attempt to continue it privately (and independently of the Ladies’ College) resulted in the Gower Street School for Girls

It no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

It was a junior school for the new Ladies’ College, founded partly to help with the financing of this College

Where in Bloomsbury

It opened in 1853 in 47 Bedford Square

It seems to have relocated afterwards to Gower Street

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found, but there is a short account of its history online at the Victorian Web (opens in new window)


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google