UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury and the Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury People

What is the Bloomsbury Project?

The Leverhulme-funded UCL Bloomsbury Project was established to investigate 19th-century Bloomsbury’s development from swampy rubbish-dump to centre of intellectual life

Led by Professor Rosemary Ashton, with Dr Deborah Colville as Researcher, the Project has traced the origins, Bloomsbury locations, and reforming significance of hundreds of progressive and innovative institutions

Many of the extensive archival resources relating to these institutions have also been identified and examined by the Project, and Bloomsbury’s developing streets and squares have been mapped and described

This website is a gateway to the information gathered and edited by Project members during the Project’s lifetime, 1 October 2007–30 April 2011, with the co-operation of Bloomsbury’s institutions, societies, and local residents

Pinckard family

a summary of their Bloomsbury connections

George Pinckard (1768–1835) was a physician who lived at 99 Great Russell Street and later in Bloomsbury Square (Roma McAuliffe, The Story of the Bloomsbury Dispensary, 1973)

He was the founder of the Bloomsbury Dispensary in 1801 and acted as its Physician from 1801–1835, succeeded by a relative, Dr Richard Pinckard (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography)

He was also the founder of the Medical, Clerical, and General Life Assurance Society and acted as its first Chairman, with his brother Joseph Pinckard as Secretary (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography)

His nephew George Henry Pinckard (1805–1892) was a benefactor to the Dispensary

For more general biographical information about George Pinckard and his relatives, see his entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography

This page last modified 7 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google