UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury and the Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury People

What is the Bloomsbury Project?

The Leverhulme-funded UCL Bloomsbury Project was established to investigate 19th-century Bloomsbury’s development from swampy rubbish-dump to centre of intellectual life

Led by Professor Rosemary Ashton, with Dr Deborah Colville as Researcher, the Project has traced the origins, Bloomsbury locations, and reforming significance of hundreds of progressive and innovative institutions

Many of the extensive archival resources relating to these institutions have also been identified and examined by the Project, and Bloomsbury’s developing streets and squares have been mapped and described

This website is a gateway to the information gathered and edited by Project members during the Project’s lifetime, 1 October 2007–30 April 2011, with the co-operation of Bloomsbury’s institutions, societies, and local residents

Christopher Heath (1802–1876)

a summary of his Bloomsbury connections

He was minister of the Catholic Apostolic Church in succession to Edward Irving

He resided in a number of Bloomsbury locations; the 1851 and 1861 census both have his extensive family listed at no. 28 Gordon Square, where according to the Survey of London he lived from 1853–1863 (Survey of London, vol. 21, 1949)

He had previously lived at no. 38 Gordon Square from 1844–1849, and no. 26 Gordon Square in 1852 (Survey of London, vol. 21, 1949)

In 1871 the family had moved to 32 Brunswick Square

According to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, he died at his home at 3 Byng Place in 1876; his widow later died at 40 Gordon Square, where she had been living since at least the time of the 1881 census

For more general biographical information about Christopher Heath, see his entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography

This page last modified 7 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google