Rapid Fermentation Process Design
Focusing on rapid fermentation process development and scale-up
15-17 October 2018
This module focuses on the design and specification of bioreactors and the application of microscale techniques for rapid fermentation process development and scale-up. A series of comprehensive lectures and case studies will enable you to:
- Understand engineering principles of fermentation.
- Determine power consumption and oxygen mass transfer.
- Evaluate different strategies for scale-up and scale-down.
- Know about miniaturised bioreactors and their role in fermentation process development.
- Understand how to design a bioreactor and use data from microscale experiments for scaleup.
- Network with sector leaders and subject matter experts.
Emphasis is on teaching through interactive problem solving case studies in small classes for effective learning.
Who should attend?
Fermentation scientists and engineers in biotechnology and biopharmaceutical companies’ or similar who are involved in process transfer to manufacturers and also those in established fermentation development groups wishing to be kept up to date with the latest research in this area.
- Power consumption in gassed and ungassed bioreactors
- Scale-up: effects of scale and scale-up strategies
- Oxygen mass transfer in bioreactors
- Case Study: Design of a bioreactor
- Tutorial: Scale-up from shake flasks to stirred bioreactors
- Bioreactor mixing
- Bioreactor scale-down: strategies and devices
- The ambr™ advanced micro bioreactor system automate high throughput screening and process development studies for both cell and microbial culture processes
- Tutorial: High throughput process development
- Case Study: Predictive scale-up based on microscale experiments
- Tutorial: Microfluidic bioreactors - microfluidics fundamentals, bioreactor design and applications
- Rapid fermentation process development – industrial perspective
Dr Frank Baganz - Module Leader
Prof Gary Lye
Dr Nicolas Szita
Dr Fiona Truscott
Previous Expert Speakers
Dr Tibor Anderlei, Kuhner Shaker
Dr Angus Thompson, FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies
Dr Barney Zoro, TAP Biosystems/Sartorius
A networking dinner will be held on the first evening.
For further information and bookings please contact:
T: +44 (0) 20 7679 9619 l +44 (0) 203 549 5619