We are in the process of updating our website and will upload new and more comprehensive module descriptions in the coming weeks.
|Module Tutor||Dr Dan Bracewell|
Unseen Examination: 80%
To provide the basic principles of bioprocess analysis and design. This will be achieved by first introducing students to the concept of whole bioprocess sequences and process flow sheets. Mass and energy balance techniques for the key unit operations within the bioprocess sequence will then be considered.
Seminars/problem classes/tutorials: 10h
Independent project work: 18h
E-learning/tutor led contact: 30h
E-learning/student led contact: 10h
The following is a summary of lecture content and key components of the course:
- Introduction to Bioprocess Engineering (4 hours): Overview of Bioprocessing, Biological Systems and Molecules, Biochemical Reaction Engineering, Products and Process Design Case Study.
- Bioprocess Analysis (6 hours): Engineering Calculations, Processes and Variables, Mass Balance Fundamentals, Reactions and Stoichiometry, Energy Balance Fundamentals.
- Primary Separation Processes (7 hours): Introduction to Solid-Liquid Separations, Homogenisation, Centrifugation Case Study I & II, Microfiltration Case Study I & II, Case Study Review.
- Chromatography (8 hours): Chromatographic Beds and Beads, Modes of Action, Analysis of Chromatography, Adsorption Isotherms, Case Study Mass Balancing in Chromatography.
- Formulation and Product Dose Forms for biological medicines (2 hours)
- Summary and Revision lectures (3 hours)