Introduction to Biochemical Engineering
We are in the process of updating our website and will upload new and more comprehensive module descriptions in the coming weeks.
Unseen exam: 70%
To provide a general introduction to biochemical engineering including its role in the manufacturing of biotechnology products such as advanced medicines and biofuels. The course covers the basics of biological systems, bioprocessing, microfluidics and synthetic biology.
Seminars/ eLearning: 10h
Required written work (e.g. essays/reports): 30h
- Introduction to biochemical engineering
- Units and dimensions
- Energy agenda – carbon balance and prospect of biofuels
- Industrial biotechnology
- Vaccine development
- Biological systems for biotechnology
- Introduction to up-stream processing (USP)
- Introduction to down-stream processing (DSP) and clinical manufacture
- Formulation and stability
- Scale-down and microfluidics