Dr Andrea Rayat
Post-doctoral Research Associate
- Education+44(0)207 679 3796 (x33796)
- PhD in Biochemical Engineering, University College London (UCL), United Kingdom
- MSc in Chemical and Biochemical Engineering , Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), The Netherlands (Cum Laude)
- BSc in Chemical Engineering, University of the Philippines at Los Baños (UPLB), Philippines
Research Interests and Experience
As the lead enterprise fellow in bioprocessing, my focus is to convert research ideas into useful products which will enable biomanufacturing and the biotech industry as a whole. I currently lead the technology commercialisation of the ultra scale-down (USD) technology platform developed in the department to help speed up bioprocess development.
My research interests lie in the area of bioseparation and purification (eg filtration, centrifugation, chromatography). In particular, I am interested in the development and application of:
• innovative solutions to accelerate bioprocess development and gain understanding of biomanufacturing operations (eg ultra scale-down methodologies and other process analysis tools); and
• process engineering and economic models for technology assessments and improvements.
My recent industry experience as a senior consultant engineer involved evaluating technology and process options; creating process, cost or manufacturing capacity models to support business cases of bioprocess options; and bioprocess software product management and development.
Previously, I was a lecturer in chemical engineering in the Philippines and was a key investigator on plant-based bioproducts (eg biofuels, bioactive compounds).
- Rayat ACME, Lye GJ, Micheletti M. 2014. A novel microscale crossflow device for the rapid evaluation of microfiltration processes. Journal of Membrane Science Vol. 452, 284–293
- Rayat ACME, Micheletti M, Lye GJ. 2010. Evaluation of cell disruption effects on primary recovery of antibody fragments using microscale bioprocessing techniques. Biotechnology Progress Vol. 26(5), 1312-1321 (DOI: 10.1002/btpr.450).
- Ju YH, Rayat ACME. 2009. Biodiesel from Rice Bran Oil. IN: Pandey A (ed.) Handbook of Plant- Based Biofuels, Boca Raton, CRC Press, 241-254
- Van Hee P, Elumbaring ACM, van der Lans RGJM, van der Wielen LAM. 2006. Selective recovery of polyhydroxyalkanoate inclusion bodies from fermentation broth by dissolved-air flotation. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 297, 595–606
- Rayat-Elumbaring ACM, Fabian CB, Agapay RC. 2006. Techno-Economic Perspective and Biofuel Prospects of Cocobiodiesel. Proceedings of the 11th Asian Pacific Confederation of Chemical Engineering Congress, August 27-30, 2006, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Elumbaring ACM, van Hee P, van der Lans RGJ, van der Weielen LAM. 2005. Case Study on Bioparticle Separation by Selective Flotation. Proceedings of the 7th Asia-Pacific Biochemical Engineering Conference, May 15-19, 2005, Jeju, Korea.
Dept of Biochemical Engineering
Faculty of Engineering Science
Doctor of Philosophy
|University College London|
Master of Science
Chemical Engineering with Biochemical Engineering
|Technische Universiteit Delft|
Bachelor of Science
|University of the Philippines|