Dr Andrea Rayat
Lecturer in Bioseparations (Downstream Processing)
- Lead, ultra scale-down technology transfer, UCL
- HEFCE Senior Enterprise Fellow, UCL (2014-2018)
- Senior Consultant, Biopharm Services (2011-2014)
- Overseas Research Students Award (ORS), UCL (2007)
- Visiting researcher, Department of Chemical Engineering, NTUST, Taiwan (2005)
- Instructor, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of San Carlos (USC-ChE), Philippines (2004-2007)
- College Curriculum Committee Chair/ Undergraduate Thesis Coordinator, USC-ChE
- Graduate Programmes Coordinator, USC-ChE
- PhD, Biochemical Engineering, UCL
- MSc (cum laude), Chemical Engineering with Biochemical Engineering, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), The Netherlands
- BSc, Chemical Engineering, University of the Philippines (UPLB), Laguna, Philippines
Teaching and Research Activities
Andrea is a tutor in Integrated Downstream Processing Module, MSc Design Projects and MEng Research Projects. She also supports the Ultra scale-down (USD) Scenario Week for second year biochemical engineering undergraduates. She will soon teach Design of Experiments for postgraduate students and facilitate the same MBI module.
Andrea has been involved in delivering lectures for MBI training modules since 2011. These modules are MBI Bioprocess Design and Economics, MBI Bioprocess Facility Design and MBI Vaccines Development. Most recently, she contributes to the MBI modules in Primary Recovery (MBI Cell to Column) and Quality by Design.
In her role as tech transfer lead for ultra scale-down technologies, she established training on kompAsTM shear device and ultra scale-down filtration. She engages with end-user biopharmaceutical or biotech companies to deliver training on ultra scale-down bioprocessing using kompAsTM.
- Rayat ACME, Lye GJ, Micheletti M. 2014. A novel microscale crossflow device for the rapid evaluation of microfiltration processes. Journal of Membrane Science Vol. 452, 284–293
- Rayat ACME, Micheletti M, Lye GJ. 2010. Evaluation of cell disruption effects on primary recovery of antibody fragments using microscale bioprocessing techniques. Biotechnology Progress Vol. 26(5), 1312-1321 (DOI: 10.1002/btpr.450).
- Ju YH, Rayat ACME. 2009. Biodiesel from Rice Bran Oil. IN: Pandey A (ed.) Handbook of Plant- Based Biofuels, Boca Raton, CRC Press, 241-254
- Van Hee P, Elumbaring ACM, van der Lans RGJM, van der Wielen LAM. 2006. Selective recovery of polyhydroxyalkanoate inclusion bodies from fermentation broth by dissolved-air flotation. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 297, 595–606
- Rayat-Elumbaring ACM, Fabian CB, Agapay RC. 2006. Techno-Economic Perspective and Biofuel Prospects of Cocobiodiesel. Proceedings of the 11th Asian Pacific Confederation of Chemical Engineering Congress, August 27-30, 2006, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Elumbaring ACM, van Hee P, van der Lans RGJ, van der Weielen LAM. 2005. Case Study on Bioparticle Separation by Selective Flotation. Proceedings of the 7th Asia-Pacific Biochemical Engineering Conference, May 15-19, 2005, Jeju, Korea.
Doctor of Philosophy
|University College London|
Master of Science
Chemical Engineering with Biochemical Engineering
|Technische Universiteit Delft|
Bachelor of Science
|University of the Philippines|