- About the Department
- Information for prospective students
- Information for industry
- Information for teachers
- Information for alumni
- MSc Programmes
- PhD/EngD Research Programmes
- Undergraduate (BEng/MEng) Courses
Rapid Fermentation Process Design
Focusing on rapid fermentation process development and scale-up
15 - 17 October 2012
This module focuses on rapid fermentation process development and scale-up, through a series of lectures and case studies enabling you to:
- Understand engineering principles of fermentation.
- Determine power consumption and oxygen mass transfer.
- Evaluate different strategies for scale-up and scale-down.
- Know about miniaturised bioreactors and their role in fermentation process development.
- Understand how to design a bioreactor and use data from microscale experiments for scale-up.
Who should attend?
Fermentation scientists and engineers in biotechnology SMEs who are involved in process transfer to manufacturers and also those in established fermentation development groups who wishing to be kept up to date with the latest research in this area.
Monday 15 October
• Introduction to module
• Power Consumption in gassed and Ungassed Bioreactors
• Oxygen Mass Transfer in Bioreactors
• Scale-up: Effects of Scale and Scale-up Strategies
• Case Study: Design of a bioreactor
Tuesday 16 October
• Case study: Design of a Bioreactor
• Tutorial: High throughput process development
• Bioreactor Mixing
• Bioreactor Scale-down: Strategies and Devices
• Expert lecture: Scale-up/Scale down of Fermentations and cell Culture processes
• Case Study: Design of a Bioreactor
Wednesday 17 October
• Case study: Design and analysis of fermentation processes at the microscale
• Case Study: Predictive scale-up based on microscale experiments
• Expert Tutorial: Scale-up from shake flasks to stirred bioreactors
• Microfluidic bioreactors
• Expert Lecture: Rapid fermentation process development - industrial perspective
Previous Expert Speakers
Angus Thompson, FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies UK Limited
Tibor Anderlei, Adolf Kuhner AG
A networking dinner will be held on the first evening.
The module costs £1300, with a £100 discount if you register and pay before 3 September.
Download the Flyer
Page last modified on 01 aug 12 10:58