Downstream Processing: Chromatography
Learn the most suitable purification operation for your process and find out about new technologies on the horizon
25 - 28 November 2013
This module focuses on product purification and, through a series of lectures,
case studies and a pilot plant session, will enable you to:
- Understand the principles of different methods of process
- chromatography, including Packed Bed, Monoliths, Expanded Bed,
- Counter Current and Simulated Moving Bed.
- Select the appropriate media for, and predict the performance of, chromatography separations upon scale-up.
- Assess the suitability of affinity separation as a product purification operation and gain awareness of advances in rational ligand design for difficult separations.
- Determine appropriate strategies for the maintenance of column and process hygiene.
- Consider how chromatography is changing at industrial scale, and which new technologies will have an impact in the future.
Who should attend?
This course is intended for engineers, chemists, biologists, biochemists and biotechnologists who are interested in the biochemical engineering aspects of chromatography. Each concept and topic covered will be explained for the beginner - without assuming detailed prior knowledge.
Typically, delegates are:
R&D scientists, engineers or managers who need to learn more about scale-up, scaledown and operation of chromatographic methods in a production environment.
• Introduction to Module
• Chromatography Fundamentals
• Models and Scale-Up
• High Throughput Chromatographic Bioseparations
• Pitfalls in the Scale-Up of Packed Bed Bioprocesses
• Pilot-Plant Studies: Chromatography
• Tailoring Media for Bioseparations
• Affinity Separation
• Design of Biomimetics for Affinity Separations
• Chromatography Practical Results
• Process Hygiene and Column Maintenance
• Case Study: mAb-purification; issues in scaling-up to large process scale
• Alternative Approaches to Scaling up
• Design of Small Scale Columns for Ease of Scale-Up
• Simulated Moving Bed Chromatography for Biopharmaceutical Production
• Liquid - Liquid Chromatography
• Process Scale Monoliths
• New Approaches to Process Scale Chromatography
• Case Study: Where and When to Apply Chromatography?
• Where Will Further Improvements in Chromatography Come From?
Invited Expert Speakers
Bo Forsberg, CMC
Rolf Frey, Bio-Rad Laboratories GmbH
Ian Garrard, Brunel University
Bjorn Hammarberg, ABD Life Sciences Ltd
Marko Jarc, BIA Separations
David Johnson, Pall Corporation
Markus Kellner, GE Healthcare
Hans May, Proxcys
Marcel Raedts, Proxcys
Eric Thwaites, CMC Biologics A/S
Sharon Williams, ProMetic Biosciences
Dr Daniel Bracewell, UCL - Module Leader
Prof Nigel Titchener-Hooker, UCL
A networking dinner will be held on the first evening.
The module costs £1750, with a £100 discount if you register and pay before 14 October 2013.
Download the Flyer
Page last modified on 25 jul 13 08:57