- About the Department
- Information for prospective students
- Information for industry
- Information for teachers
- Information for alumni
- MSc Programmes
- PhD/EngD Research Programmes
- Undergraduate (BEng/MEng) Courses
Modular Training for the Bioprocess Industries (MBI®)
The Modular Training for the Bioprocess Industries Programme (MBI®) is run by the Department of Biochemical Engineering at UCL. It comprises a series of UCL-accredited short courses in bioprocessing, designed specifically for industrialists, that can be taken as stand-alone modules or can be combined for Certificate, Diploma or Masters qualifications.
MBI® Training programme features
- A comprehensive programme of accredited bioprocess engineering courses of 3-4 days duration plus four elearning modules.
- Courses aim to bridge the gap between bioscience and engineering and can lead to UCL qualifications at masters level.
- Emphasis on teaching through interactive problem solving case studies in small classes for effective learning.
- Expert teaching input from industrialists and regulators - over 70 experts from 50 companies helped UCL staff to deliver the courses between October 2011 and July 2012.
- Strong input from industry into the development of the programme and new modules via a team of industrialists who meet every 6 months.
- Application of new skills to practical situations through activities based within the Advanced Centre for Biochemical Engineering pilot scale process facility.
MBI® course benefits
- Up-to-date skills and knowledge to rapidly develop validatible, efficient and robust processes.
- A thorough knowledge of process options and engineering constraints.
- A capacity to improve processes.
- Updates staff in the latest technical and regulatory developments.
- Increased flexibility, motivation, creativity and professional status for delegates.
- Increased contact network.
MBI® experience and current status
Over 1,000 modules have been sold to more than 700 individuals from 200 companies since the start of the programme in 1994.
- 29% of the companies participating are non-UK.
- Delegates average more than 10 years' relevant industrial experience (range from 0.5 to 30 yrs).
- 10 delegates have now graduated from the programme with an MSc in Bioprocessing, four with a Diploma in Bioprocessing and seven with a Certificate in Bioprocessing.
Modules can of course be taken on a stand alone basis without any need to undertake any assessments/certification. However, through the MBI® Training Programme the following University College London qualifications can be achieved:
- Masters in Bioprocessing: 5 years/£Module dependant for home students (Payment terms are negotiable and payment plans can be arranged) Note: College fees are collected throughout your study period by incorporating them with the MBI® module fees. These module fees are substantially discounted in recognition of your commitment to the MSc and represent a total saving of approx. 30%! A similar incentive scheme is available for overseas students. Download further information about the MSc via MBI®.
- Diploma in Bioprocessing: 5 years/£Module dependant (Payment terms are negotiable and payment plans can be arranged)
- Certificate in Bioprocessing: 2 years/£Module dependent
The department of Biochemical Engineering also runs a doctorate programme for industrialists - the enhanced doctorate (EngD).
If you would like further information about the MBI® Programme or other Bioprocess Leadership Activities at the Department of Biochemical Engineering, please email us - we will be more than happy to advise you.
Page last modified on 01 aug 12 10:36