Arts and Sciences (BASc)
- Prospective Students
- Degree Structure
- BASc with Study Abroad
- Degree Pathways
- Degree Core
- Study Abroad at UCL
- Current students
- Study Abroad
- What our students say about the BASc
- Frequently Asked Questions
- News and Events
- Contact Us
- Staff Intranet
Study Abroad Dissertation
- Dissertation of 5,000 words in English on an aspect of globalisation in education – 60%
- Written summary of dissertation (in foreign language) – 30%. Length of summary to be advised by CLIE according to language and language level.
- Vlog (5 mins, in foreign language) about something which interests you in your host institution/country– 10%
You are required to write a 5,000 word dissertation in English on an aspect of globalisation related to education. Examples of possible topics are: the global strategy of your host institution; the secondary school education system in your country and how it relates to a globalisation agenda; the role of university study abroad partnerships in local or national business strategy; higher education initiatives in interdisciplinarity in your country. Or you may prefer to suggest a related topic of your own choice.
In addition, to test language acquisition, you will be required to produce in your foreign language:
- a short summary (abstract) of your Study Abroad dissertation, as well as
- a vlog on any aspect of your host institution or country which is a point of interest for you.
The word-count of the summary in the foreign language will be appropriate to the language and the level of language ability of the student and will be advised by CLIE who will also examine the language component of the module.
All items of assessment must be submitted by the deadline of Thursday 15 May at 17.00 GMT.
In addition, you will be required to complete the following tasks (“Shell-Units”):
A. For the UCL Study Abroad Office
- Completion of an Arrivals Form (upon arrival).
- Completion of a Departure Form (upon departure).
- Completion of a Study Abroad evaluation questionnaire.
B. For the BASc Office:
- Submission partway through the year of a 400-word written summary in English about your activities (current and planned) at the host institution and country.
- At the end of your stay, submission of a complete institutional transcript with all courses completed and passed at the host institution. The number of courses must be in line with the minimum expected by students at the host institution.
The weightings for the Study Abroad degree will be as follows:
||average of best 3 units, weighted at 11.11%|
||average of best 3.5 units, weighted at 33.33%|
||completion of all Shell-Units and the Study Abroad Dissertation module|
||average of 5 units x 55.56% (i.e. 4 final year units plus Study Abroad Dissertation)|