Arts and Sciences BASc 3 years

The three-year programme of core courses, major and minor pathway and internship.


Arts and Sciences with Study Abroad BASc 4 years

The three-year programme plus an additional year abroad.



Frequently Asked Questions

What are the term dates?


All students are expected to be at UCL for the full duration of every term. For the 2014/15 academic year, the term dates are:

Term 1
Monday 22 September to Friday 12 December 2014
Term 2
Monday 12 January to Friday 27 March 2015
Term 3
Monday 27 April to Friday 12 June 2015

College Reading weeks take place in the week commencing Monday 3 November 2014 and Monday 16 February 2015.

UCL is also closed on the following dates:

  • Wednesday 24 December 2014 to Sunday 4 January 2015 inclusive
  • Thursday 2 April to Tuesday 7 April 2015 inclusive
  • Monday 4 May 2015
  • Monday 25 May 2015
  • Monday 31 August 2015


The term dates for the 2015/16 academic year are:

Term 1
Monday 28 September to Friday 18 December 2015
Term 2
Monday 11 January to Thursday 24 March 2016
Term 3
Monday 25 April to Friday 10 June 2016

College Reading weeks take place in the week commencing Monday 9 November 2015 and Monday 15 February 2016.

UCL is also closed on the following dates:

  • Thursday 24 December 2015 to Sunday 3 January 2016 inclusive
  • Friday 25 March to Wednesday 30 March 2016 inclusive
  • Monday 2 May 2016
  • Monday 30 May 2016
  • Monday 29 August 2016

I need to provide proof of my student status, how do I get it?

If you are asked to provide an official document to any person, authority or organisation proving that you are a registered student at UCL, the quickest way to obtain it is to print it out from Portico.

Alternatively, you visit the UCL Student Centre in person with some form of photo identification and they will produce one for you there. The Student Centre is located on the ground floor of the Chadwick Building, near the Front Lodge as you enter the main UCL gates on Gower Street and is open from 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday.

If you're not in UCL, then you can also send an email request to studentstatus@ucl.ac.uk, quoting your UCL student number, name, date of birth and the address you want the status letter sent to.

What will my degree title be when I graduate?

Students who successfully meet the requirements to be awarded an Honours degree will be awarded a BASc Arts and Sciences: (pathway title) degree, irrespective of whether they have majored in arts or sciences.

So, for example, students majoring in Sciences and Engineering will be awarded BASc Arts and Sciences: Sciences and Engineering.

For students on the study abroad degree, your degree title will be, for example, BASc Arts and Sciences with Study Abroad: Sciences and Engineering.

I require additional support because of a disability, how do I go about getting this?

If you have either a seen or unseen disability, you should visit the Student Disability Services Office for guidance and assistance.

If you want to make an appointment to speak to an advisor, please ring them on 020 7679 0100 and a suitable appointment time will be arranged for between 10am and 1pm. Alternatively, if you have a brief query, you can visit them during one of their drop-in sessions which are held 2 – 4pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Their office is located in G16, South Wing, Wilkins Building.

Information on the services and support they offer can be found on their website at: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/disability

Where can I find a computer at UCL?

There are 8 PCs located in the BASc student Common Room and many other 'Cluster' rooms located around the campus.

Please see http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/learning-teaching/spaces/locations for up-to-date information on the location and opening hours of all cluster rooms across UCL.

What do I do if I lose my student ID card?

You will need to go to the Security Office in the Andrew Huxley Building which is open from 9am – 4.45pm, Monday to Friday.

The first issue of your ID card is free but if a card is lost or stolen during its period of validity, the next two issues will be free. However, a £15 administration fee will be charged on any subsequent occasion where a replacement is requested for reasons other than card expiry, changes to the information on the card or card failure.

In such circumstances a voucher must be bought from the UCL Shop and then taken to the card issue office, where a new card will be issued.

Who should I contact?

Below is a list of useful central UCL contacts you may need during your time at UCL.

Confirmation or verification of Student Status studentstatus@ucl.ac.uk
Transcripts, Degree certificates and Module selections examinations@ucl.ac.uk
Tuition fees and debts fees@ucl.ac.uk
UCL userid and password servicedesk@ucl.ac.uk
Portico Services portico-services@ucl.ac.uk
Student ID cards securitysystems@ucl.ac.uk
CAS’s for current students joanna.page@ucl.ac.uk
Points-based immigration issues uclu-rights.advice@ucl.ac.uk
Graduation ceremonies grad_ceremonies@ucl.ac.uk

You can also view information for new students at: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/new-students/

Information for current / continuing students is at: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/current-students