•  
  •  

News

UCL Australia Latest News

UCL links Australian alumni – Alma mater matters

Published: Aug 7, 2014 7:22:30 AM

Matthew Flinders strengthens UCL’s links with Australia

Published: Jul 23, 2014 6:27:03 AM

UCL 'running ruler' over local expansion

Published: Jul 9, 2014 3:42:16 AM

Contact

UCL Australia
Torrens Building
220 Victoria Square
Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

Tel: +61 8 8110 9960
Fax: +61 8 8212 3039

FacebookTwitterLinked In

Research at UCL Australia

UCL School of Energy and Resources

Research in the School of Energy and Resources focuses on both the upstream and downstream development of energy and resources, covering a wide range of disciplines - from engineering and economics to environmental science and law. 

Read More

Mullard Space Science Laboratory

The Mullard Space Science Laboratory (MSSL) is a world-leading research organisation delivering a broad science programme that is underpinned by a strong capability in space science instrumentation, space-domain engineering, space medicine, systems engineering and project management.

Read More

International Energy Policy Institute

The International Energy Policy Institute (IEPI) was created to address key policy issues in the mineral, energy and resources industries through intensive and innovative research.

Read More

Research at the IEPI

Professor Stefaan Simons

Professor Stefaan Simons

RESEARCH

International Energy Policy Institute

INTERNATIONAL ENERGY POLICY INSTITUTE

The International Energy Policy Institute (IEPI) was created to address key policy issues in the mineral, energy and resources industries through intensive and innovative research.

Read more...

Mullard Space Science Laboratory

MULLARD SPACE SCIENCE LABORATORY

The Mullard Space Science Laboratory (MSSL) is a world-leading research organisation delivering a broad science programme that is underpinned by a strong capability in space science instrumentation, space-domain engineering, space medicine, systems engineering and project management.

Read more...

Optimisation of sustainable water desalination process

28 June 2013

Today, Dr Eleftheria Polykarpou, Lecturer at UCL Australia’s School of Energy and Resources, presented at The International Conference on Process Systems Engineering Asia (PSE Asia 2013) on optimisation of sustainable water desalination process. 

Overview of the Presentation

Water is one of the most abundant resources on earth. Although, it covers almost 75% of the earth’s surface, only 3% of this is fresh water. This small percentage can be found in ground water, lakes and rivers, while the remaining 97% can be found in the oceans. The problem of fresh water shortage can be addressed by the use of a sustainable seawater desalination process.

Separating salt from water is usually performed by methods that require large amounts of energy and are costly. This paper considers a sustainable desalination method that uses waste heat - the Puraq method.  

Read the full paper on Optimisation of sustainable water desalination process

About the speaker

Dr Polykarpou is a lecturer at the School of Energy and Resources at UCL Australia, teaching Energy Efficiency and Conservation and Water Resources Management on a postgraduate level. View her full profile